The Institute of Professional Bookkeepers of Canada (IPBC) held it's first annual conference in Richmond, BC in late September 2012. One of many breakout sessions was a panel titled: "How bookkeepers can add value (and get paid more as a result)"
Track #5 How Bookkeepers can Add Value started promptly at @ 4:30pm PST, Friday afternoon September 21st 2012. The highlight for me was panelist Jeff MacFarlane with a bold statement that we need bookkeepers to act as 'relationship managers' between clients and accountants because accountants hate talking to clients and would rather work on the technical aspects and leave the relationship management to someone else.
The participants broke into discussion groups to discuss ways that bookkeepers could become invaluable. Participants shared suggestions about what bookkeepers could do including:
- Customer Relationship Management which could be scanning business cards, to upload to Outlook to data mine for options
- Client Portal to provide clients and accountants with access to bookkeeper's data
- Goal setting with clients
- Using Client Track to remind both clients and accountants about deadlines
- Developing strategic alliances
- Monthly Newsletters
- Estate and Power of Attorney record keeping
- Providing advice and direction to clients and accountants about bookkeeping (believe it or not, many accountants don't do bookkeeping and aren't afraid to admit it...)
Thank you to the three accounting professionals experienced in adding value shared stories and provided tips for bookkeepers including these useful links for further reading: appre
Disclaimer: Eileen Reppenhagen CGA does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in ads posted on this site. Please do NOT rely on or use the information on this website as a basis for a course of action without obtaining appropriate professional advice.Disclaimer: All Apple®, Windows Mobile®, and Android® trademarks remain the property of their respective holders, and are used only to describe the products being provided by The App Code. Any usage of the above-mentioned marks anywhere on The App Code website in no way indicates any relationship, endorsement, or affiliation with the holders of said trademarks.
All Intuit®, QuickBooks® Software,Quicken® Software and Profile® Software trademarks remain the property of their respective holders, and are used only to describe the products discussed on this website.. Any usage of the above-mentioned marks anywhere in this website in no way indicates any relationship, endorsement, or affiliation with the holders of said trademarks other than specifically stated, for example, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor.