My Writing > Renovate, Construct, Move, Dwelling Devices

Medical Tax Credits to Review
31 Dec 2006

Medical Expenses – Claim for renovating, new construction or moving expenses as well as devices and equipment relating to your dwelling on your tax return


Copyright 2007 Eileen Reppenhagen, Tsawwassen, British Columbia


In 2003, my local paper reported a story about a young family thanking the community for assistance with their elevator project. 


That article prompted me to get out my Income Tax Act to learn what this family could write off for renovation, new construction and moving for those with a disability or impairment and for those who support them. I thought I would share what I discovered with you.


Various medical expense tax credits are available to taxpayers with disabilities or other impairments or infirmities and the families who support them. 


You can claim a medical expense for renovations or alterations to the dwelling of a patient who lacks normal physical development or has a severe and prolonged mobility impairment to enable the person to gain access to, or to be mobile or functional within the dwelling. 


If you build a new home you can expense the incremental costs of new construction



Provided expenses


i) are not of a type that would typically be expected to increase the value of the dwelling, and


ii) are of a type that would not normally be incurred by persons who have normal physical development or who do not have severe and prolonged mobility impairment


There is a court case, Lejeune, H. V. The Queen (TCC) September 1, 2004 where the appeal was allowed to include the full cost for renovations ($10,531.62) to accommodate a spouse and mother-in-law who moved in to care for the spouse in order for the taxpayer to be functional in her own home. 


There is a provision for $2,000 of moving costs and another for driveway alterations to facilitate access to a bus.


Purchase (or alter within 6 months of purchase) a vehicle for a wheelchair ($5,000 or 20% of cost) could also qualify as a medical expense.  In addition, you could write off the entire cost of a lift added to that vehicle and qualify for a GST/HST rebate.


Various medical devices and equipment qualify as medical expenses under Regulation 5700 of the Income Tax Act.  These include air or water filters or purifiers, electric or sealed combustion furnaces and air conditioners for severe chronic respiratory ailments or immune system disregulation. 

Power operated guided chairs, mechanical devices to assist with in/out of tubs or on/off toilets, power operated lifts and computerized electronic environmental control systems for severe and prolonged mobility restrictions also may qualify. 


I must stress that to qualify to claim these items as medical expenses you must have adequate documentation and certification of a particular type of disability or impairment from an appropriate medical professional. 


All devices and equipment prescribed in Regulation 5700 for use by the patient must be

i) of a prescribed kind

ii) prescribed by a medical practitioner

iii) not described in S. 118

iv) meet such conditions as may be prescribed as to its use or the reason for its acquisition

to the extent that the amount so paid does not exceed the amount, if any, prescribed in respect of the device or equipment



How will you afford to pay to build or move? The Home Buyers' Plan (HBP) allows you to withdraw up to $20,000 from RRSP to buy or build a qualifying home for yourself (as a first-time home buyer or as a person with a disability) or for someone who is related to you and is a person with a disability. 


Home Buyer’s Plan loans from your RRSP are either repaid or included in your income over the next 15 years.   It won’t help you renovate, but if you are considering a move, it’s worth considering whether or not a different home or even a new home is appropriate.


Will you qualify as disabled? Therein lies the rub.  In 2001, according to Statistics Canada, 3.6 million Canadians were considered infirm or disabled.  The Minister of Finance tells us that only 550,000 taxpayers qualify as disabled in 2002. 


Even fewer taxpayers qualify after an audit of 106,000 taxpayers who had claimed the disability tax credit in past year, initiated in late 2001, disqualified a significant number of claimants. 


Not all medical expenses require Form 2201 disability certification.  Some require certification in writing in the form of a letter. 


What should you consider before making a decision to move or renovate for reasons that qualify? 

You might want to do a list of pro’s and con’s.  I am sure that there will be many factors to consider including:

·          fair market value of your old home, a renovated home and a new home 

·          the cost of the renovation compared to the incremental cost of new construction

·          devices and equipment required, new, used or rental  

·          stress

·          ties to the community

·          support systems

·          the cost and availability of capital

·          whether or not you will repay the loan or pay the tax on the income spread over 15 years-if taxable income will be very low over the next fifteen years and there are significant tax credits available for transfer from the person with a disability, you might not have to pay your tax or repay your RRSP


Who will qualify to claim these expenses? 

If you support the person who qualifies and qualification must be certified by medical doctor or other qualified professional, you can transfer the medical expense to a supporting person. 


Ask your accountant.  There used to be a medical notch provision, which limited transfers of expenses.   Changes in the Budget for 2004 deleted the notch provision.  For persons under 18 the notch was eliminated, for over 18, the transfer of the claim has been capped at $10,000.  The threshold for claiming is 3% of that person’s net income, not yours.


Depending on which medical expense you are planning to claim, the criteria for who will qualify will differ significantly.  In some cases, the patient must lack normal physical development or have severe and prolonged mobility impairment.  For Home Buyer’s Plan qualification the patient must be certified as disabled. 


What if I already moved, built or renovated and didn’t know I could claim? 


According to CRA’s Fairness Policy IC92-3, CRA can issue income tax refunds or apply them against a balance owing beyond the normal three-year period when the refund or reduction would have been made if the return had been filed on time or the request had been made on time; and the necessary adjustment is correct in law and was not previously allowed.


This was amended by the Budget in 2004 which limited retroactive claims to 10 years.


What would I recommend if you were going to consider moving or renovating for a personal that has mobility impairment or other wise qualifies?  Consult with a professional accountant before proceeding.  There are limits on some types of claims and not on others.   The biggest challenge is documentation required to make a claim. 


Meet with the doctor to discuss certification. 

Does the person lack normal physical development, do they have severe and prolonged mobility impairment, do they have a severe chronic respiratory ailment or immune system disregulation or are they disabled in some other way that will qualify? 


This is where it is best to read the actual Income Tax Act to get the correct wording.  Canada Revenue Agency gives examples and does not always use the exact wording of the Act in its guides.


Obtain receipts from and hire a legitimate contractor.  Ask about GST on new construction.  You will require receipts to make a tax credit claim!!


Appropriate documentation might include a certification of disability on Form 2201 or a letter certifying lack of normal physical development, severe and prolonged mobility impairment or severe chronic respiratory ailment or immune system disregulation. 


It will depend on which expenses you plan to claim what certification is required.  It might be a good idea to write to CRA and ask them to pre-authorize their approval prior to commencement of purchases.


There are more than 70 medical expenses listed in the Income Tax Act in Section 118.2(2) and Regulation 5700. These expenses are now listed in RC4064 Medical and Disability Related Information - check my home page for the link to this guide.


If you have purchased something for medical reasons, make sure you keep the receipts and ask CRA or your accountant if the purchases qualify as a medical expense.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 


The big news this year is that for the first time ever, published in December 2006, there is a complete list of all medical expenses, devices and equipment listed in RC4064, Medical and Disability Related Information.


If you meet the criteria for a disability tax credit claim, (see T2201 Application Form) consider whether any of these medical expenses might qualify as disability supports because you work or attend school. 


If you have taxable income, claiming these as disability supports instead of medical expenses will reduce your taxable income directly, rather than reducing your tax payable by tax credit at the lowest tax rate.


This area of taxation is incredibly complex.  Each claim is judged on its own merits and the relevant conditions imposed by CRA.   In each case the facts relating to the particular person, their situation and their purchases will be different.  Adequate, appropriate documentation, along with certification by appropriate professionals is absolutely necessary to file a successful medical expense claim.

Employer assistance 

Cost of compliance is minimal to accommodate versus cost of employee turnover and has been recognized in the following ways:

Canada Revenue Agency allows for renovations to Income Producing Buildings to allow access by landlords or employers as a current expense.  This includes ramps, door openers, widening doorways, bathrooms, elevators, new doorways which would normally be capitalized and written off over their useful life to be recorded as a current expense.

Also included are prescribed devices such as elevator car position indicators, visual fire alarms, listening devices for group meetings or telephone devices for hearing impairment. 

See Software and Hardware attachments ITA 20(1)(qq).(rr)  1995 regulations ITR 1102(1)(a), 8800, 8801

Benefits paid to or for persons with disabilities will not create a taxable fringe benefit under ITA S. 6(16) if employee is certified by T2201 to be a person with a disability.  This includes actual cost or reasonable allowance for transportation to/from work and cost of attendant to assist person with disability in performance of duties.

Reference materials

Canada Revenue Agency


CRA General Tax Guide


RC4064 Medical and Disability - Related Information


RC4135 Home Buyers Plan (HBP)


Income Tax Act

S. 118.2 Medical expenses only



Regulation 5700 Medical devices and equipment


Assistive Technology 

Led by Industry Canada, this site will assist persons with disabilities and employers to find information on assistive technologies, accommodation issues and accessible information. It does not provide information on purchasing, evaluation or rating of technologies


BC Home Owner Grant - reduction for persons with disabilities 


BC Deferral of Property Tax  NEW!!!

New in 2003 - one spouse over 60 or widowed or disabled


CMHC funding 

CMHC has up to $24,000 in funding to assist in creation of affordable housing for low income seniors and adults with disabilities. Homeowners, private entrepreneurs and First Nations persons who own residential properties that could create a bona fide affordable self-contained rental accommodation are eligible for the program called "Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program's Secondary/Garden Suite. 


Take a minute to check other forms of assistance at the same page on their website might qualify for one or more of the programs…including one for $3,500 to assist with seniors devices for their bathrooms to enable them to stay at home longer.


Rehadat Canada/Nat’l Institute of Disability Management and Research

(Joyce Gravelle) 1-250-954-0701

q     Competency framework /audit program/curriculum

q     Issues include accommodation, accessibility, rehabilitation, retention of employees who are injured or disabled

q     Human Resources Mgmt (HRSDC) and EI

q     Disability Management Programs – policies and procedures, framework for compliance, audit DMP

q     Future could include incentives – rebates on WCB premiums or premium increases for non-compliance


Canadian Human Rights Commission

q     Obligation to accommodate under Employment Equity Act (federal employers)



Where to go for assistance with your renovation?  Shell Busey, at has a morning show on CKNW Radio from 6-8 am PST Saturdays provides an Audio Vault for 3 months under the Station tab on the left side of their home page to anyone who signs up for free.  Bonus is that they send you an email on your birthday.  Too cool.


Eileen Reppenhagen, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor speaks and writes about accounting and tax. Contact Eileen at




Renovations, Construction, Devices and Equipment for Dwellings - Check out this article for Tax Credits you may have missed!  


Listen to Shell Busey and ask him your questions about how to renovate or repair on Saturday mornings from 6am to 8am(PST) on CKNW Radio  You will love how he says "it's just that easy, folks!"  This guy has a huge heart and always has the answer or knows who does. 




Copyright 2003-2018  Eileen Reppenhagen   Site Accessibility    Privacy policy    More legal stuff    Contact

Disclaimer: This website does not research or endorse any product or service appearing in links or advertisements anywhere on this site. 

I consider requests to update a particular page if there's an error or new information worth adding.

CRA has updated their website. If the link has a note that it's been archived, it's likely in their new Folio's or will be in the Folio's in the future.

If someone were to make an offer to purchase the rights to TaxDetective (Trademarked in Canada), I'm open to offers. 

Please do NOT rely on or use the information on this website as a basis for a course of action without obtaining appropriate professional advice, in writing. 

All Intuit®, QuickBooks® Software,Quicken® Software and Profile® Software trademarks remain the property of their respective holders, and are used only to describe the products discussed on this website.

Any usage of the above-mentioned marks anywhere in this website in no way indicates any relationship, endorsement, or affiliation with the holders of said trademarks other than specifically stated, for example, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor.